The world feels smaller than ever; this is mostly due to flights becoming cheaper and more accessible. Its so easy for people to visit any location and be there within a few hours. However, depending on where you go, you can end up travelling for 24 hours or more. Flights can get uncomfortable, especially when flying economy. But, fear not, there are things you can do to make the flight more bearable.
- Wear layers. You don’t have much control of the temperature on an aeroplane and you can sometimes end up being either too hot or too cold. The best way to solve this problem is by layering up. Wear something comfortable, and put on several t-shirts and jumpers so you are prepared for whatever temperature the cabin is. You’ll be comfortable regardless of if its hot or cold.
- Bring toiletries. Sitting on a plane for hours can make you feel pretty grimy, so don’t forget to bring a toothbrush and a mini toothpaste, being able to clean your teeth will instantly make you feel fresher. But you don’t have to stop there, also bring wet wipes so you can easily give yourself a wipe down if you start to feel sweaty. Another thing to consider is the air-con in the cabin, this can dry out your skin and be uncomfortable; so bring a small tube of moisturiser with you to keep your skin hydrated throughout the flight.
- Take your shoes off. Sitting with your shoes on for hours can start to cut off the circulation to your feet. You’ll be much more comfortable, and feel more relaxed with no shoes on. Wiggling your toes every now and then will also stop pins and needles from setting in!
- 4. Set your watch to the time zone you’re going to. Nothing ruins a holiday like suffering from jetlag. So start adjusting to the new time zone before you land. Try to sleep when it would be night at the destination and stay awake when it would be the day. This should make for an easier transition.
- Move about. As tempting as it is to sit in your seat and watch movies for the entire flight, this isn’t a good idea. To stop your body from getting stiff, stand up and walk around every now and then. This will also help to pass the time.
- Bring hard boiled lollies. One of the worst bits about flying is the altitude, especially when taking off and landing. Having some hard boiled sweets to suck on will stop your ears from popping.
- Relax. Its so easy to get stressed when travelling, but this just makes it worse. Try to ignore the fact that you’re on a plane and instead, enjoy the in flight entertainment as you would at the cinema. You’ll be waited on hand and foot, so use the time to calm down and have some ‘me time’.
A long haul flight doesn’t have to be a bad experience, it’s the beginning of your holiday, so enjoy it. Hopefully by following these tips and tricks it will make your flying experience more comfortable.